Note: For new construction of pressure vessels, boilers, and pressure piping, refer to the Manufacturer section.
The various codes of construction require contractors to perform a number of examinations, inspections and tests, and to document these activities. The contractor must be familiar with the codes of construction which govern the work being done, and perform the required examinations, tests, etc.
The codes adopted under the Safety Codes Act are listed in the Pressure Equipment Safety Regulation, Section 6.
The following is a listing of some of the requirements. Refer to the code of construction for complete details.
- Pressure piping construction is governed by the requirements of ASME B31.1, B31.3, B31.5 or B31.9 piping codes, depending on the type of work being done.
- These codes make certain examinations by the contractor mandatory and, in addition, require the owner to perform inspections. The contractor must be familiar with these requirements to ensure that he meets all obligations under the Act.
- Qualification requirements for the owner’s inspector are detailed in the applicable piping code.
- The codes specifically prohibit the contractor from acting as the owners’ inspector unless the owner is also the contractor.
- Inspection of boiler external piping must be completed by ABSA in Alberta, or by an ASME Authorized Inspector if fabrication occurs in another jurisdiction. All other inspection of piping required by code is completed by the owner.
- In addition to the inspection and testing requirements of ASME B31, the Pressure Equipment Safety Regulation, section 30 places additional requirements on the piping contractor.
- Pressure piping construction is to be documented on a Pressure Piping Construction and Test Data Report, AB-83, which is to be certified by the contractor and the owners’ inspector prior to turnover to the owner.
- The contractor is also required to complete a Completion of Construction Declaration, AB-81, and submit this to ABSA at the completion of the project. This declaration is not required if the volume of the piping system is equal to. or less than, 500 litres aggregate internal volume.