COVID-19 Update 2020-05-12
Power engineers, inservice inspectors, steam traction engine operators and welding examiner examinations will resume at our Edmonton Office (only) effective 19 May 2020.
Public bookings are now open.
NOTE: Only May and June dates are available, more dates will be added as the situation progresses.
If you are looking to re-book a cancelled examination and have a credit on your file, call 780-437-9100.
PLEASE DO NOT BOOK ONLINE as you cannot use your credit this way.
The examinations will be administered in accordance with a modified procedure. The procedure is available here. There will be 3 examination sittings per day, restricted to 10 candidates per sitting. Strict COVID-19 protocols will be followed. Candidates will be required to bring a suitable mask to wear during the examination. Candidates that had previously scheduled examinations that were cancelled due to COVID-19 will have priority.
"B" Pressure Welder bookings will resume in Edmonton & Calgary at the Boilermarkers Lodge 146 (only) effective 21 May 2020.
We will be monitoring business resumption plans at our other examination and welder testing facilities, and will resume examinations there when we can.
- We are asking all clients to submit designs electronically via email or, once an account is set up, through the new CRNOnline web portal. We will continue to accept hard copy submissions, but processing these will take longer than the current norm.
- It is no longer necessary to submit a notarized statutory declaration with a fitting registration submission. Please complete, sign, date and attach a scanned copy of the completed AB-41 with the application. The part to be completed by a Commissioner of Oaths/Notary Public may be left blank.
- We will respond to reports of unsafe conditions and accidents.
- We will continue to provide shop inspection services, and repair and alteration inspection services at shop and field sites. Inspectors will be conducting a COVID-19 Job Safety Analysis (JSA) prior to visiting the facility. Please be prepared to discuss the actions your company has taken to protect your staff and our inspectors.
In-service inspections and quality system audits. :
- In-service inspections and quality system audits are hereby suspended. Extensions will be issued to Quality Management System (QMS) certificates that are due to expire.
- We will continue to accept requests for in-service inspections and quality systems audits on a case-by-case basis and will determine our response on the outcome of a health and safety risk assessment.
- No in-person meetings will be held at ABSA offices until further notice. Previously scheduled in-person meetings are now cancelled, but may be rescheduled to Skype format.
- ABSA staff can be contacted by email or by telephone in the usual manner.
COVID-19 Update :
ABSA staff are mostly working from home and remain available to serve and support all of our valuable stakeholders. Please reach us by e-mail and telephone.
While ABSA’s offices are closed to the public during the crisis, the Edmonton Office remains open to accept mail and other deliveries.
Please Click Here for ABSA COVID-19 Measures