COVID-19 Update 2020-06-02
ABSA offices continue to remain closed to the general public but we are now scheduling limited exam sittings at our Edmonton and Calgary locations. Please contact us by e-mail and telephone for more information.
Please ‘click here’ for ABSA COVID-19 Relaunch Considerations.”
Power engineers, in-service inspectors, steam traction engine operators and welding examiner examinations resumed at our Edmonton Office effective 19 May 2020.
These same examinations will be available at our Calgary office effective 22 June 2020.
Bookings are now open for both examination centers.
NOTE: As of now, booking dates are only available until August 31, 2020. Dates and examination locations will be adjusted consistent with the Alberta Government COVID-19 Relaunch Strategy and ABSA’s ability to deliver the service safely.
If you are looking to re-book a cancelled examination and have a credit on your file, call 780-437-9100. PLEASE DO NOT BOOK ONLINE as you cannot use your credit with this method.
The examinations will be administered in accordance with modified procedures. The procedures are available here, (Edmonton & Calgary). There will be 2 examination sittings per day, restricted to 15 candidates per sitting in Edmonton and 8 candidates per sitting in Calgary. Strict COVID-19 protocols will be followed. Candidates will be required to bring a suitable mask to wear during the examination.
"B" Pressure Welder bookings resumed in Edmonton & Calgary at the Boilermakers Lodge 146 (only) effective 21 May 2020.
We will be monitoring business resumption plans at our other examination and welder testing facilities, and will resume examinations there when we can.
- We are asking all clients to submit designs electronically via email or, once an account is set up, through the new CRNOnline web portal. We will continue to accept hard copy submissions, but processing these will take longer than the current norm.
- It is no longer necessary to submit a notarized statutory declaration with a fitting registration submission. Please complete, sign, date and attach a scanned copy of the completed AB-41 with the application. The part to be completed by a Commissioner of Oaths/Notary Public may be left blank.
- We will respond to reports of unsafe conditions and accidents.
- We will continue to provide shop inspection services, and repair and alteration inspection services at shop and field sites. Inspectors will be conducting a COVID-19 Job Safety Analysis (JSA) prior to visiting the facility. Please be prepared to discuss the actions your company has taken to protect your staff and our inspectors.
In-service inspections and quality system audits. :
- We are resuming in-service inspections and quality system audits on a case-by-case basis and will determine our response on the outcome of a COVID-19 Job Safety Analysis (JSA) prior to visiting the facility. Some activities may be conducted using video technology.
- Please submit quality system applications and associated documentation (manuals etc.) electronically.
- No in-person meetings will be held at ABSA offices until further notice. Previously scheduled in-person meetings are now cancelled, but may be rescheduled to Skype format.
- ABSA staff can be contacted by email or by telephone in the usual manner.