Submission Requirements for Registration of Pressure Piping Designs in Alberta
The following guidelines are intended to explain some of the requirements of the Alberta Safety Codes Act and Regulations for the registration of pressure piping. They are not a substitute for the governing documents. The reader is advised to refer to the Act and Regulations for other applicable requirements.
In accordance with section 16(1) of the Pressure Equipment Safety Regulation (AR 49/2006), the following list of drawings, specifications and other information with respect to a pressure piping system shall be submitted to the Administrator for review and registration.
The following provides specific Administrative and Technical Submission requirements for each Pressure Piping registration application.
We prefer electronic submissions for pressure piping registrations. Please see Electronic Submissions for more details.
- If submitting electronically, then the quantity of any particular required document to be submitted is reduced to one (1) rather than multiple copies of a document.
- EACH APPLICATION SHALL BE SEPARATED INTO TWO SETS OF DOCUMENTS. ONE SET FOR ABSA AND A SECOND SET THAT WILL BE RETURNED TO THE CLIENT UPON COMPLETION OF THE REVIEW.
- One (1) completed Design Registration Application, Form AB-31 for each separate design submitted to ABSA. This form shall be placed on the top of the application package.
- The Manufacturer Contact section of the application would show the name of the company that owns the plant and any pertinent contacts.
- The Submitter Contact section would show the name and contact information of the company submitting the design. Sometimes these could be the same.
- One (1) completed Design Registration Application Supplemental Sheet, Form AB-31B, for each separate design submitted to ABSA. This form shall be placed behind Form AB-31.
- Two (2) completed General Engineering Requirements for Design & Construction of Pressure Piping Systems, Form AB-96, for each separate design submitted to ABSA.
- Form AB-96A, Guide to Completing the AB-96 has been published to provide supplemental information when completing Form AB-96.
- Two (2) sets of design drawings, specification, and documents that bear a signed stamp or seal of a Professional Engineer.
- ALL documents larger than 8 ½” BY 11” MUST BE FOLDED
- DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATIONS IN BINDERS, FOLDERS OR DUOTANGS
- Mail applications to:
Attn: Design Survey
9410 20 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6N 0A4
- The drawings, specifications and documents referred to below must bear the stamp or seal of a registered Professional Engineer and the name of the owner of the design, or the person who will be the manufacturer of the pressure piping system.
- Flow or Line Diagrams (P & I Ds shall be Issued for Construction) showing the general arrangement of all boilers, pressure vessels, pressure piping systems and fittings. Refer to Section C of Form AB-31B.
- Pipe Line Identification Table showing the maximum design pressures and maximum and minimum design temperatures for each line. Refer to Section D of Form AB-31B.
- A List of Pressure Relief Devices, including their set pressures and identifying all the pressure vessels or boilers protected by each device. The list shall identify which sheets of the P& IDs the pressure relief device is located on. Refer to Section E of Form AB-31B.
- Piping Material Class List shall be provided showing material specifications, size, schedule and primary service rating of all pressure piping and fittings. These are typically company standard line classifications. Refer to Section F of Form AB-31B.
- Pressure Testing Procedure outlining the type (hydrostatic, pneumatic etc.), method, test medium, test pressure, test temperature, duration and safety precautions. Refer to Section G of Form AB-31B.
- In the listed documents include size, schedule, and primary service rating of all pressure pipe fittings.
- In the listed documents include the welding procedure registration number.
- Any other information that is necessary for the Administrator or Safety Codes Officer to survey the design and determine whether it is suitable for registration.
Last Modified: 5/4/2020 9:32:48 AM