ABSA, under the direction of an industry represented Board of Directors, employs about 130 professionals dedicated to the vision of “…providing leadership in pressure equipment safety”.
Some of the services we provide include:
- Pressure equipment design review and registration
- Shop and initial inspection of pressure equipment
- Periodic inspection of Alberta’s 100,000 registered vessels
- Review, audit and registration of Quality Control programs
- Power Engineer examination, certification and registration
- Pressure welder testing and certificates
- Accident review and investigation
- Education and training services
We currently have the following positions available:
Pressure Equipment Inspector (Safety Codes Officer) Edmonton, Red Deer and Fort McMurray
ABSA, the pressure equipment safety authority is looking for the right career-minded person to become a Pressure Equipment Inspector in the province of Alberta. We have one opening available in Edmonton, Red Deer and Fort McMurray. ABSA is designated by the Province of Alberta to ensure that pressure equipment is constructed and operated in a safe manner. Safety Codes Officers are responsible for verifying and enhancing the safety of pressure equipment. Safety Codes Officers apply the following processes to verify and enhance pressure equipment safety:
- Verify workers hold certificates of competency as power engineers, pressure welders, pressure welder examiners, or pressure equipment inspectors
- Verify owners have processes in place to ensure competent operation of pressure equipment
- Conducting certificate of competency examinations for power engineers, operators and welders
- Conducting audits of quality management systems for companies that apply for certification to construct, repair or alter pressure equipment; repair safety valves, test pressure welders, provide inspection services, or for pressure equipment integrity management by an owner/user
- Conducting audits to verify owners of operating equipment have basic integrity management systems in place
- Performing the duties of authorized inspector for new construction of pressure equipment
- Performing initial installation inspections
- Performing periodic inspections of in-service pressure equipment
- Monitoring inspection activities of owner/users and inspection companies
- Authorizing pressure equipment repairs and alterations
- Conducting accident investigations
To qualify as a safety codes officer you must have previous experience in working with pressure equipment (design, construction, installation, operation, maintenance, inspection and repair etc.) and as a minimum, one of the following technical certifications:
- A first or second class power engineers certificate of competency, or
- A bachelors degree in an engineering discipline (Mechanical, Chemical, etc.), or
- A two year engineering technology diploma in a related discipline (welding, materials, etc.)
Certifications from the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors, American Petroleum Institute (API), and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Lead Auditor training is an asset.
In addition, we are looking for the following qualifications and attributes:
- A commitment to safety in the workplace and for the public
- A positive attitude that facilitates cooperation with your coworkers and clients
- An attention to detail while maintaining an understanding of overall safety compliance
- Experience in investigating accidents and incidents
- Previous experience in providing training or education to industry and/or the public.
- An ability to travel and to work independently
We thank those who apply however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
ABSA provides a positive working environment, competitive compensation and benefits, excellent personal development, and the opportunity to enhance public safety through our program development and delivery.
To learn more or apply, contact Amanda Klyne at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in working for ABSA but do not see a position or location that interests you then feel free to submit your resume for future consideration.
Please forward your resume to:
Edmonton, Alberta T6N 0A4
Fax: (780) 437-7787
Tel: (780) 437-9100 x3304