Any person who intends to manufacture a fitting for use in Alberta in connection with any boiler, pressure vessel or pressure piping system shall apply for registration of the fitting.
As defined in the Pressure Equipment Safety Regulation (AR 49/2006) section 1 (1)(n), fitting means a valve, gauge, regulating and controlling device, flange, pipe fitting or any other appurtenance that is attached to or forms part of a boiler, pressure vessel, fired-heater pressure coil, thermal liquid heating system or pressure piping system.
The following provides specific Administrative and Technical Submission requirements for each Fitting Design registration application.
ABSA DOES NOT ACCEPT ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
ADMINISTRATIVE SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- EACH APPLICATION SHALL BE SEPARATED INTO TWO SETS OF DOCUMENTS. ONE SET FOR ABSA AND A SECOND SET THAT WILL BE RETURNED TO THE CLIENT UPON COMPLETION OF REVIEW.
- One (1) completed Design Registration Application Form AB-31 for each separate design submitted to ABSA. Place this form on top of the application package.
- Two (2) original and completed Statutory Declaration Forms, this is Form AB-41. Since this is a legal document, it must be witnessed by a Commissioner of Oaths if you are a manufacturer within Alberta or witnessed by a Notary Public, if you are a manufacturer from outside Alberta. Errors or omissions in completing the AB-41 form will cause the document to be rejected.
- For guidance in completing the AB-41 form, please refer the AB-41a Guide for Completing Form AB-41 or contact our office for further assistance. PHOTO COPIES OF THIS DOCUMENT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- One (1) copy of the Quality Control Certificate or IS0 9001 certificate from the agency that verified the Manufacturer’s quality management system that attests to the fact that a suitable quality management system exists and that it is being implemented.
- Two (2) separate sets of design details which would include applicable drawings, brochures or catalogues.
- One (1) copy of the proof of registration for each separate design application, if the fitting is registered in another Canadian jurisdiction. This will include the stamped statutory declaration form, stamped drawings, stamped catalogs, or acceptance letter.
- ALL documents larger than 8 ½” BY 11” MUST BE FOLDED
- DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATIONS IN BINDERS, FOLDERS OR DUOTANGS
- Mail applications to:
Attn: Design Survey
9410 20th Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T6N 0A4
TECHNICAL SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The focus of the design registration review is to verify that the Fitting design complies with the requirements of the Act and Regulations. For new Fitting designs, the design shall be documented and submitted on drawings, specifications, brochures, catalogues and other information that describes the design.
The submitted documents must be as detailed as construction drawings issued to the manufacturing floor. This detail must be self explanatory such that no additional information is required from the designer or submitter and that it meets the Act and Regulations as well as the Code of Construction or Standard. The design documents shall show, but are not limited to:
- Cover letter explaining the scope of registration requested.
- You may choose to use Form AB-257.
- Details of the arrangement of all components,
- Dimensions of assemblies and sub-assemblies for all pressure components,
- Materials for all pressure components, an
- Range of sizes.
- Drawings, brochures or catalogues that provide (for each assembly),
- Design conditions,
- Design Rating, or
- Pressure Class.
- Detailed calculations or if calculations are not applicable, then copies of the proof test results witnessed by an inspector or an authorized inspector and acceptable to ABSA.
- Any other information that is necessary for the Administrator or Safety Codes Officer to survey the design and determine whether it is suitable for registration.