The following information provides details of the registration process for a Boiler and Pressure Vessel design submitted to ABSA and the requirements of the Pressure Equipment Safety Regulation (AR49/2006).
Each application package submitted to ABSA will include administrative and technical items, which are required to perform the initial Boiler and Pressure Vessel design review. To ensure a timely review, it is important to submit all items listed below.
ABSA has developed an electronic submission process for new boiler and pressure vessel designs. For more information, click here.
The following administrative requirements are mandatory.
- EACH APPLICATION SHALL BE SEPARATED INTO TWO SETS OF DOCUMENTS. ONE SET FOR ABSA AND A SECOND SET THAT WILL BE RETURNED TO THE CLIENT UPON COMPLETION OF REVIEW.
- One (1) completed Design Registration Application Form AB-31 and Form AB-31a for each separate design submitted to ABSA. Place these forms on top of the application package.
- Two (2) sets of drawings for each separate design application. Drawings that are 11” x 17” or larger must be folded to 8.5” x 11”.
- One (1) set of calculations for each separate design application. Single sided page prints only, with no staples.
- One (1) copy of proof of registration for each separate design application, if the boiler or vessel is registered in another Canadian jurisdiction.
- DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATIONS IN BINDERS, FOLDERS OR DUOTANGS
- Mail applications to:
Attn: Design Survey
9410 20 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6N 0A4 Canada
- At our discretion, we may return a copy of the registered design to you in PDF format via email, scanned at 300 dpi in black and white only.
The focus of the design registration review is to verify that the Boiler and Pressure Vessel design meets the requirements of the Act and Regulations. For new Boiler and Pressure Vessel designs, the design shall be documented and submitted on drawings, specifications and other information that describes the design.
The submitted documents must be as detailed as construction drawings issued to the manufacturing floor. This detail must be self explanatory such that no additional information is required from the designer or submitter and that it meets the Act, Regulations, and Code of Construction. The design documents shall show, but are not limited to:
- Design pressure and temperature
- Including MDMT, if applicable
- Heat exchanger mean metal temperature, if applicable
- Details of the arrangement and dimensions of all component parts
- Including formed heads minimum thickness after forming
- ASME specification numbers for all materials
- Including grades and or types
- Weld joint details
- Including partial and fillet weld sizes
- Non-destructive examination details
- Including the amount or extent of the examination
- Welding procedure specification numbers
- The title of the applicable code or standard, including the relevant editions and addenda dates
- A report of any physical tests conducted for the purpose of establishing the working pressure of the boiler or pressure vessel or any part of it
- Any other information that is necessary for the Administrator or Safety Codes Officer to survey the design and determine whether it is suitable for registration
- Heat treatment holding time and temperature
- Hydrostatic or pneumatic testing pressure
- Flange ratings
- Identification of any Code Cases or Interpretations intended to be applied to the design
- The AB-31a provides a short list of items which may be applicable for your design application.
- Drawing requirements:
- Drawings, specifications, etc., must bear the name of the owner of the design, or the person who will be the manufacturer of the boiler or pressure vessel.
- It is not necessary that drawings be stamped by a Registered Professional Engineer unless the Code or the Safety Codes Officer requires such stamping.
- If any revisions of the drawings are provided after the first submission, they will be assessed for evidence of proper design control. Manual changes to CAD drawings will generally be cause for rejection of the submission.