This guideline applies to hot tapping procedures of a pressure vessel and/or pressure piping system submission to ABSA’s Design Survey Department as required by AB-513 Section 14.2.
Other specific requirements related to Hot Tap are addressed in AB-513.
Contractor(s) performing the Hot Tap and the Owner(s) of the pressure equipment are responsible to ensure full compliance with the requirements set in AB-513.
This guideline specifies the minimum documentation necessary to be submitted to ABSA’s Design Survey Department to obtain design registration of Hot Tap procedures.
The SCO- Design Surveyor may request other pertinent information and documents to complete their registration.
Document AB-513 Paragraph 14 explains use of Hot Tapping technique and further defines Quality System Requirements.
A Contractor/Owner performing a Hot Tap shall hold a valid certificate of authorization permit for the hot tap activity, per AB-513 Section 6.
- Form AB-31 – Design Registration ApplicationNote: This form is used for providing the specific data of the pressure vessel (CRN and A #) or piping system (Owner, plant location and “PP” number) as applicable. This form must be completed by the Responsible Organization, as established in the following paragraph #3.
- General Alteration Information Document
- For Pressure Vessels
- i. Form AB-230 – two (2) completed copies, or
- ii. Owner developed equivalent document providing all essential information as form AB-230
- For Pressure Piping
- i. Form AB-96 – two (2) completed copies and
- ii. Supplemental Engineering Requirements document providing all relevant information but not limited to the Hot Tap fitting design, construction, installation procedure, testing, NDE etc.
Note: The AB-96 Supplementary Sheet shall be used to list and identify all the documents that are part of the hot tap procedure design registration submission. The listed documents shall be identified by their title, document number and revision number, or by the date of issue.
Note#1: A General Alteration Information document shall be provided with each application for registration of the Hot Tap procedure. This form shall be used for documenting all relevant information but not limited to the Hot Tap fitting design, construction, installation procedure, testing, NDE etc.
Note#2: The 2nd page of the AB-230 form shall be used to list and identify all the documents that are part of the hot tap procedure design registration submission. The listed documents shall be identified by their title, document number and revision number, or by the date of issue.
- For Pressure Vessels
- A Statement Identifying the Responsible Organization.
- Technical Justification Document for doing the Hot Tap.This document shall provide information regarding the Owner’s proposed rationale/justification for performing Hot Tap and shall be based on valid technical and safety considerations. The proposed rationale/justification shall provide for an adequate level of personnel, property and environmental safety.This document shall be signed by the Owner of the pressure equipment that is to be hot tapped.
- Statements to express:
- a. Confirmation that a risk assessment has been conducted for the Hot Tap.
- b. Confirmation that the necessary operational activities, safety measures and contingency plan / emergency procedure associated with the Hot Tap implementation are identified and developed.
- c. Confirmation by the Responsible Organization that the contingency plan and/or emergency procedure associated with the Hot Tap execution have been formally received;
- d. Commitment by the Owner Contractor(s), and Responsible Organization that all identified activities and measures will be implemented.
- Drawing(s) – Two(2) sets that must include:
- the design data and other Code required information of the equipment,
- The Hot Tap fitting;
- i.detailed design and construction information or
- ii.the applicable Hot-Tap fitting CRN (if the fitting is registered separately).
- Arrangement of the Hot-tap fitting and modified pressure equipment.
- Normal operating conditions.
- Alternative operating conditions required/applicable during the Hot Tap.
- Material specifications with size, schedules, min./nom thickness etc.
- Detailed weld configurations with sizes.
- Other information pertinent to the Hot Tap.
- Calculations – one set
The calculations shall be consistent with the applicable Code demonstrating that the Hot Tap fitting design and the Hot Tap modification meets the applicable Code and other requirements during the actual Hot Tap;
- A copy of the report of the actual condition of the area of the equipment to be hot tapped and any required action/work on the equipment to ensure the safe hot tapping.
- Inspection and NDE report(s).
- Welding Procedure or detailed Information with respect to the welding procedure(s) to be used during hot tapping, e.g.: heat input may require special consideration and shall include:
- a. Preheat detailed information inclusive of the preheat temperature.
- b. PWHT detailed information inclusive of the holding time at temperature.
- Detailed information with respect to the hydrotest and hydrotest pressure of the attached hot tap fitting.
- Detailed Hot Tap procedure documented and presented in a step-by-step format.
- All Hot Tap procedures submitted to ABSA’s Design Survey for registration are deemed alterations and shall include the following documents:
The Owner must identify/select a Responsible Organization for the implementation of the Hot Tap activities. The identified Responsible organization (Owner, Owner’s representative, Engineering Company (EPC), or Contractor Company performing the Hot Tap) has the overall responsibility and control of all activities and work to be completed to achieve safe and Code compliant construction, as required by the Hot Tap procedure, AB-513, applicable Codes and Standards, PESR and SCA.
The document shall be signed by the owner of the pressure equipment subject to Hot Tap and identified responsible organization.
- The documents above must be signed by:
- i. the owner of the pressure equipment subject to Hot Tap (must be a management position),
- ii. the identified Responsible Organization (must be a P.Eng), and
- iii. the Contractor Company performing the Hot Tap (must be a management position).
Note #1: A single document may be compiled (from the items in section 5 above) and presented into a form, inclusive of all required signatures.
Note #2: The documents referenced in section 5 above (such as: risk assessment, operational activities, safety measures, contingency plan, and emergency procedure) associated with the hot tap execution, are not required to be submitted to ABSA’s Design Survey. These documents shall be included in the Hot Tap Procedure documentation that it is kept by the Owner and the Responsible Organization and shall be made available if requested by ABSA’s Safety Codes Officer.
Note: When designing the Hot Tap procedure, collapsing of the run shall be considered.
The SCO-Design Survey, responsible for the survey and registration may require additional information, details, and documentation that are considered necessary for efficient survey and registration.