This is a non-standardized certificate of competency issued by Alberta. It is a site-specific certificate of competency that certifies the operator to supervise a power plant of a capacity not exceeding 250 kW.
It is important to note that a person who has earned this certificate is eligible to operate the boiler at one specific site only. Currently, this certificate of competency is not subject to annual renewal.
Requirements for this certificate are:
- Previous Certificate: None
- Educational Prerequisites: None
- To qualify to take a Special Boiler Operator’s Certificate of Competency examination, a candidate must currently be employed in the operation of a power plant that has a capacity not exceeding 250 kW.
- A Special Boiler Operator’s Certificate of Competency examination consists of questions relating to the subjects contained in the current reference syllabus established by the Administrator for the Special Boiler Operator’s Certificate of Competency examination.
- The examination consists of one (1) examination paper with 50 multiple-choice questions, 1.5 hours duration.
- To pass a Special Boiler Operator’s Certificate of Competency examination, a candidate must receive at least 65% of the total marks alloted for the examination.
- An ABSA Safety Codes Officer may issue a temporary SBO certificate to an applicant for up to six months. The applicant must demonstrate adequate knowledge regarding the safe operation of a specific boiler through oral examination. The temporary certificate allows the applicant to supervise operation of the boiler while preparing to challenge the written examination above.
Detailed information in regard to this examination can be found in the Special Boiler Operator Reference Syllabus (AB-57).
To apply for examination please click here.